Total Pageviews

Translate

Thursday 15 May 2014

Free Passes for Stonehenge - get it now!

Please forgive me for using a paragraph from "Hands off our Byways" because of an experience yesterday while out on my daily walk, which happened to be on byway 12......

"For those not familiar with the term "Byway" these are unmade tracks around the WHS which have been in place for Milena, and Byway 12 is one of these, and possibly considered by EH to be too close to Stonehenge, thus allowing the public to view the Stone Circle without going through, what they consider to be the "proper channels" and pay £14.90 entrance fee."
My walk took me down the north side of Byway 12 from Fargo Road in Larkhill to the Stone circle site and on arrival, having crossed over the now defunct A344, I was met by the "Yellow Jacket"....all 6'3" of him.  I wouldn't mind, but he was standing upsides from my 4'11" peering down at me.   He had clearly clocked that I had not alighted from the "noddy train" along with all the Japanese visitors and so the conversation went like this:.....
YJ: have you a ticket?
ME: NO! I don't need one
YJ: why not?
ME: because the monument belongs to the Nation and we're entitled to view it for free!
YJ: I'm not sure about that!
ME: in any case, I live local and there are 30,000 of us who are entitled to free passes!
YJ: OH! I'm not sure about that either!
ME: Well, if you visit Amesbury Library, you can find out all about free passes for local people.....and they look like this:

It could be said that he was only doing his job and perhaps further training on the part of
www.english-heritage.org.uk might be good advice......but then, that would be letting too many people know of this local freebie from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Chubb


No comments: