Total Pageviews

Translate

Tuesday 8 April 2014

The Victory sign off Longbarrow.....how nice!

There are some days I get the urge to blog and today is one of them!  
After a little shop at Lidl, we have a choice of routes home to Shrewton so I decided, since traffic was light, to take the A303 at West Amesbury and using my trip meter in the car I wanted to ascertain my previous blog was correct in that a 2.8km (tunnel) would take me about 200 meters the other side of Longbarrow....right on the nail!   Problems with the new lay-out at Longbarrow roundabout have been well documented since the recent new signs on the road were implimented but have not made a blind bit of difference if today is anything to go by.   Approaching Longbarrow in a westerly direction, I took up the centre lane as per the new signs, to go straight across and was aware of a green Vauxhall Astra who took up the left lane for heading south on the A360 toward Salisbury.  Out of the corner of my eye - peripheral vision coming in here!! I noticed the Astra had not gone south but was still with me in the nearside lane, but of course, he had to travel much further to get back onto the west bound A303 than I, so I got there first by using the correct lane.  This must have rather upset the driver, because, how nice when I looked in my mirror, to receive the Victory sign from the elderly gentleman behind the wheel!.....except....I'm sure he got his fingers the wrong way round....like Winston Churchill in this picture, but not given in the best of grace - unfortunately....more like this of Ronnie Biggs!! 
 
said in an article to Salisbury Journal on 18th December 2013: "It is hoped the new markings and signs will ensure that motorists get into the correct lane as early as possible and we want motorists approaching the A303 at Longbarrow to use correct lanes all the way around.....I've got news for you H A....it aint working!!!

No comments: